Piriform CCleaner Free (Windows/Mac)
Piriform CCleaner Free (Windows/Mac)
CCleaner by Piriform is a free system optimization software. It is a slim tool without annoying advertising, at least if you download the ad-free slim version we provide for our readers (here). With CCleaner (short for Crap Cleaner) your computer may run faster, because the software analyzes selected areas of your PC and removes useless files. CCleaner knows and cleans a wide range of applications, from browsers and system tools to image and video processing, and it knows from where to remove unnecessary files without harming the system. When deleting cookies, CCleaner acts rather smart: login data, such as your e-mail account, will not be deleted. Cccleaner does its job cautiously so you don’t need to worry about data loss. Important system files remain basically untouched. Before actually deleting files the freeware shows apreview for all files it is about to delete. CCleaner does even more. In it’s Tools menu, it offers to uninstall software and clean up Windows’ start menu. If you know what you’re doing, you may also delete old system restore points to free disk space. CCleaner offers even more free features. The Registry Cleaner menu scours the database for outdated and incorrect entries. Before cleaning, CCleaner offers to create a registry backup. If something doesn’t work out well, recovery is only a matter of seconds. In the settings, you can create custom folders that are cleaned up each time you start up. The free PC Cleaner offers even more adjustment options, such as the automatic complete cleaning with every boot process. The content of complete hard drives may be swept irretrievably using the Drive Wiper menu.
- Clean Internet Explorer: temporary files, history, cookies, super cookies, Autocomplete form history, index.dat files
- Clean Firefox browser: temporary files, history, cookies, super cookies, download history, form history
- Clean Google Chrome: temporary files, history, cookies, super cookies, download history, form history
- Clean Opera browser: temporary emporary files, history, cookies, super cookies, download history
- Clean Safari browser: temporary files, history, cookies, super cookies, form history
- Clean other browsers like K-Meleon, Rockmelt, Flock, Google Chrome Canary, Chromium, SeaMonkey, Chrome Plus, SRWare Iron, Pale Moon, Phoenix, Netscape Navigator, Avant.
- Clean Windows Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files, Log files, Clipboard, DNS Cache, Error Reporting, Memory Dumps, Jump Lists
- Windows registry: Remove unused and old registry entries, including File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more
- Clean applications including Windows Media Player, eMule, Google Toolbar, Microsoft Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and others: Remove temp files and recent file lists (MRUs) from apps
Even deeper cleansing with free CCEnhancer
Using the free CCEnhancer you can even extend the functionality of this popular cleaning tool. With the free CCEnhancer you enhance the cleanup functionality of CCleaner for additional applications. For this purpose, a continuously updated list of program data sets is downloaded from the Internet and entered into the local CCleaner database. After this, CCleaner can detect and clean program traces and registry entries for more than 1,000 additional programs. Cleaning the registry results in a deeper cleansing, too.
One free and two paid versions available
In addition to the free version, CCleaner is also available in two paid editions: CCleaner Pro and CCleaner” Professional, which is not the same, as you might think. In addition to being able to automatically perform cleaning at specified intervals, the Pro version also has a monitoring function. This so called “real monitoring” performs decluttering depending on a set threshold. CCleaner Professional is a bundle of theree apps: CCleaner Pro, Defraggler Pro, Recuva Pro and Speccy Pro which also provides routines for defragmenting, recovering deleted files and analysing the hardware of the computer.
Data deletion and system cleaning at it’s best. The tiny tool cleans your system skin-deep. On well-used computers, CCleaner may find several GB of temporary files and other junk files. By the way: There is also a portable version and a Mac version of CCleaner.
Alternatives to CCleaner
Compared to CCleaner, you might miss some features if you use the free BleachBit software. On the other hand you get maximum transparency: Not only is BleachBit an open-source software, and open source software that can be scrutinized by everyone. In addition, the program itself is very transparent: All steps of the cleaning process can be understood easily. Use the left sidebar to select which areas or programs of your PC you would like to clean up. For example, cleaning the Thunderbird e-mail client: You may compress the database or delete cookies, which contain profile data. You can use a preview to see what exactly will be deleted, compressed or optimized. This enables users to optimize their computer very cautiously.